Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Join a Recreational Sports League

I grew up playing sports my entire life and when college ended, I stopped playing. This was right about the time I began gaining weight, and lots of it! It wasn't until I moved states away on my own that I decided I should meet some people in my new town. I came across a listing looking for softball players. So I said what the hell, why not? It was a coed league. I met some new people, while realizing it had been way too long since I played and I missed it. The team didn't play another season and I was left alone again.





Fast forward two years and I reconnected with an acquaintance that asked me to be on her team. Again, I had moved and didn't know many people. This league was much more organized and all the people were so nice. By this time, I had been active for a while after losing 30 pounds, so I was ready to play again! I played the outfield and ran around like crazy. I was hitting awesome and running around the bases. The next day I was so sore! lol This new activity was working some muscles I apparently hadn't been using much of.

This same group of people would gather for sand volleyball, not an organized league, just for fun whenever everyone could get together. Even though we could only keep a volley going about 4 times at most, it was a lot of fun and the perfect workout.

Sports like softball, basketball, volleyball, etc. work your entire body from you forearms and shoulders, to your quads and glutes. It's an all-around full body workout that's fun. They say time flies when you're having fun, so don't dread your next workout! Instead, grab your friends and go throw a football :) Contact your local Parks & Recreation Department to see what's near you or search on Craigslist to see if any teams are looking for players.

So why should you play a recreational sport??
1) It's a great exercise
2) You meet new people (I met my current boyfriend of 2.5 years through my softball league, and 4 great friends)
3) Being a little bit competitive is good for you
4) Strengthen your teamwork skills
5) It's FUN!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave me a comment!