Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Friday, January 25, 2013

Be a Superhero


Today I bring to you the Superhero Scramble, one of many obstacle course runs (OCR). I participated in the Miami event and let me tell you: It. Was. Awesome!! So awesome I'm doing multiple OCRs this year. I have been wanting to do one of these types of runs for sometime now, but haven't been able to find anyone to do it with. I think it intimidates everyone and these events can be super pricey! I ended up find a crazy good coupon on Swaggle.com (now Gearup.active.com) for only $35.

So this course was 6 miles of wicked terrain with 20+ obstacles. Now don't let the mileage discourage you. I went with my boyfriend and friend and they rarely, if ever, workout and they both completed it with no problem. The obstacles were a perfect mixture of some easy, like crawling under caution tape, to challenging, like rock wall climbing and a rope pull up a 90 degree wall, to difficult, like rope climb to ring a cowbell. The last one named, I just wasn't strong enough to do!


Overall, the day was fun. Just remember though, you do run the risk of getting injured. Luckily, I walked away with only minor scrapes and bruises. But, I watch a chick fall down the incline wall and completely snap her ankle. Her foot was bent sideways and stuck like that at her ankle. So gross!! Yet, I couldn't seem to look away from it... Aside from the obstacle course, they have all day entertainment, food vendors, alcohol vendors. You even got a "victory beer" when you crossed the finish line! You can even go and not race, just sit back and soak it all in.

I impressed myself with my finishing time! Check it out:

So these races can get super expensive...I'm talking $90 and up. So the earlier to register the cheaper. But what's even better is watching deal sites like Groupon, Living Social, Gearup.active.com, or similar. You can grab a great coupon for half the price!

My best advice to plan for one of these is to hit the gym of course, but also do some outdoor training. I was sore after this, but my shins, feet and thighs were the worst from the 3 mile non-stop run and the overall 6 mile course, too! If you're looking for some good training moves, check out my Workout of the Week tab above. These will help train all your muscles from your arms, to your core to your legs. Total body conditioning is what is needed for extreme obstacle course races.

The Superhero Scramble even took pics of us throughout the course. Here are a couple:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave me a comment!