Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Thursday, January 24, 2013

To Monitor Fat Loss or Not?

So some of my coworkers entered a Body Transformation Challenge and they all had their body fat percentage taken in house (I chose not to participate in the challenge). They used calipers and many were complaining it wasn't performed correctly so everyone had skewed results. This challenge got me wondering what my own body fat percentage was. Then again, if it was high I didn't want to know! 

Omron HBF-306C Fat Loss Monitor
So I did some research using the googler. I came across a review for body fat analyzers on About.com. Click here to read it. I was looking for a handheld device and not a scale. The Omron HBF-306C Fat Loss Monitor was the first handheld one in this review list, ranked at #5. Now, this article was written in Feb. 2011 so I'm sure new things have come out since then.

This little device can store multiple user profiles and the cons were so minute I can't believe they bothered mentioning them. Here's what they were:
  • Must be consistent for good results
  • No scale but must enter weight value

I feel these are no brainers. I mean really, who's gonna buy this if they don't first own a scale. And if you own a scale for the purpose of tracking your weight, you already know you must be consistent and weigh yourself at the same time each day. 

Even the Amazon reviews of this product were great and the price was right. I wasn't looking to spend more than $30. So I ordered it. (and I got free shipping from Amazon, too!)


I felt like a child on Christmas morning while I waited for my new gadget to arrive! lol I'm a sucker for this stuff and curiosity was getting the best of me. So I guessed my body fat percentage would be 23%, but was nervous it might end up being more. In case you're wondering what level of body fat you should be at, here's a chart that will help: 

It finally arrived!! So also in my research I read that you shouldn't perform the analysis right when you wake up and never do it right after a meal or a workout. You should relieve your bowels first, too. So I figured the best time was when I got home from work. So I ripped open the package, setup my profile which was simple: weight, height, age, gender, and activity level. Then I ran to the bathroom and felt the need to remove my clothing as if that might interfere with the electrical current! And, what do ya know, it read 20.3% the three times I did it! So now I've set a new goal...reach 18% body fat. 


This is a nifty little device and I would definitely recommend it. You cannot solely rely on your BMI. You can look thin and feel fine, but still have 30% fat. So don't forget to do some strength/weight training!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave me a comment!