Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 27, 2014

Winter Workout Woes

Let's face it, when the weather turns colder and colder our bodies natural reaction is to go into hibernation mode. Don't you just wish you were a bear? Some mornings you just want to stay warm under the covers. It's a difficult choice to drive to the gym in the snowy weather and peal off your layers to start sweating just to have to put the layers on and trek back home. I know some crazy gym-goer will yell "You're just being lazy!" But seriously, this is not a fun process!


Lately, I have been dreading my workouts because I'm freezing all the time and don't want to take my boots off! But I'm also not one of those people who can't stand working out in a long sleeve thermal. When I sweat, I want minimal layers. But also, I hate that gross feeling of putting on a hoodie while you're still sticky or drenched in sweat. Then you enter the outside world to be smacked in the face with 20 mph freezing wind, or snow depending on where you live, and you feel like your sweat has hardened into icicles on your body! Now someone please step forward and tell me that what I just described is a pleasurable feeling... Silence? That's what I thought.

So now that I've painted a miserable picture, want to go workout? LOL! I'm here to help you figure out how to push through this. And get this? You actually burn more calories in the winter! Research published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise found that race times are faster in cold weather than in warmer temperatures—and quicker runs torch more calories. That's enough motivation for me!

But if you need some more help, here are some great tips:

  • Change from your work clothes directly into your workout clothes. If you change into lounge pants or pj's, you'll be more inclined to snuggle up on the couch and not move.
  • If it's snowing, take the kids to the park and go sledding. Walking up the hill after each slide down is a great workout. Or hike the trails in the park. Or have a snowball fight! There's lots of fun to be had in the snow.
  • Perform your warm-up indoors. This helps eliminate that uncomfortable first 10 minutes for your body to heat up and adjust to the outdoor temps.
  • Don't run out in the open. If you are surrounded by forest/trees or tall city buildings, the wind is blocked, making your outdoor run more bearable.
What motivates you to get moving in the winter months? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave me a comment!